[X-Unix] ping -f -s 1024 ??

Stephen R. Smith ssmith at alignsoft.com
Mon May 31 19:47:21 PDT 2004

Hey Luke,

Your description of the problem is the opposite of your symptoms, so I'm
assuming it's a (carefully crafted) typo.  0.1 should be your router, and
0.2 and 0.100 should be (I'm assuming) your TiBook and G3 respectively.

I'm going to further assume that it's from the 0.2 to 0.100 that you're
getting 30-40% packet loss, and that to 0.1 (to the Dlink) from 0.2 (the
TiBook) you're getting no lost packets.

If that's the case, there are a couple of things that might be causing the
problem.

The NIC in the G3 may be defective - have you tried installing a PCI NIC and
retesting from this machine?

You haven't mentioned a switch or hub, so I'm assuming that you're plugging
both machines directly into the wireless router.  The cable between the G3
and the router may be damaged - a nick or partial break in the cable, or
poorly connected ends may result in data loss.  Try another known good cable
(try switching the cables between the laptop and the G3 and see if the
problem follows the cable).

You may have a bad port on the router - try another port.

If all else fails, and you're not noticing a real world speed problem on the
G3, stop flood pinging it and move on.

Cheers,
:Steve

--
Stephen R. Smith                Tel: 905.633.9178
Senior Developer                Fax: 905.634.1064
Align Software Inc.             Email: ssmith at alignsoft.com
WWW: http://www.alignsoft.com/
     "bringing order to chaos in the information age"