[X-Unix] PGP funkiness...

Eric Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Fri Oct 8 18:49:04 PDT 2004

On Oct 8, 2004, at 4:27 PM, Justin Herald wrote:

Not one to cause problems, but...

Unless I'm misunderstanding things, this _is_ a list for people to
discuss the Unix side of Mac OS X, correct?  That being said, if those
of you making a stink regarding my email attachment (gpg signature)
have ever spent any time on a mailing list, you'd understand that this
type of thing is normal, especially in the unix community.  I have come
under the impression that some folks in this list, most of whom have
contacted me personally from this list, are either long time mac users
interested in the unix side, or windows converts coming to the unix
side in the most friendly OS out there to do so, Mac OS X.  Unless the
list moderator bans my address or attachments, I guess I'm not
interested in changing my mail format.  That leaves two options for
those that have a problem with this:
1) filter out my mail
2) live with it.

I, personally, don't like all the GPG/PGP ascii armored stuff, as I
feel it's difficult to read short emails with, that's why I use MIME
attachments.  Some email clients, mainly the Outlook/MS family do not
handle MIME attachments correctly, which is why you see some messed up
emails.  Unless you're trying to verify my GPG signature, there's no
reason you need to read the attachment.  If I'm not mistaken, the
attachment is all of 200 bytes, hardly worth your time worrying about.

Now, I know this is probably going to start some sort of flame war, but
I'm willing to accept that.  If this is a Unix list for Mac users,
there shouldn't be a problem.  If this is otherwise, let me know and
I'll go elsewhere, because that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks