[X-Unix] Re: Repair permissions on volume with no OS?

Albert Lunde atlunde at panix.com
Tue Apr 5 15:56:36 PDT 2005

> If you're not worried about the permissions being strict, a possible
> solution would be to try the following command, substituting the
> correct volume for what I have here:
>
> # sudo chmod -R 0777 /Volumes/all-my-files
>
> This will set rwxrwxrwx (Read, Write, and Execute permissions on ALL
> files of that volume, recusively).

That's a pretty big sledgehammer.  I'd be really, really, careful
about trying that.

It would tend to break Unix-derived software like sendmail,
procmail, and Openssh sshd, which is security-minded and
(properly) cares about some files being world- or group-writable.

I'd expect Postfix to care, too, but I'm not familar enough with
it to cite specifics.

Making things needlessly readable and writable violates the
security model of the OS and lots of other software, like Apache,
though they aren't all paranoid enough to complain or fail silently
like the apps cited above.

(Stuff that comes out of the MacOS 9/Carbon ancestry may or
may not care.)

I think the problem would be better served by seeking a more
specific diagnosis and applying a fix specific to that.

"Permissions Problem" just doesn't say enough.