[X-Unix] Which Window manager/Desktop Environment

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 06:36:31 PDT 2005

I do a lot of work with SGML/XML as my job.

I have a crippled Ti 667 at home (6 yr-old PC at work). I can haul
through the deepest Dep't of defense DTDs and do maybe 500 pages a
week, converting text, pdf, whatever into interactive SGML/XML docs.

I'm shopping for a new Aluminum powerbook, now, and thought I'd look
into converting the 667 to an open source box.

Now i remember why i trashed Fink a few years ago. Some apps only
work with libraries that are only compatible with Gnome or KDE, some
will work with both... a wrong lib install at some point can preclude
using a certain app, later, what a mess.

The Leafs will win the Cup before this thing dominates the desktop,
no question. Still, I saw a lot of XML parsers (pretty trivial
concern, all the best ones are java, anyway), but i need apps that i
can use to turn doctickets into trees, an app to tag those packages
in the trees into standalone, partially-coded docs to begin the work
with, and an app that shows the DTD graphically (a tree for legal
contents and parents), separate attributes window, etc. It's just
format to plain text, tag it, build it. Not rocket science (although
some of my work involves rocket science <laughs>).

I do docs that incorporate very heavily-nested sequential lists,
without a visual validator, so i don't need 3D icons and brushed
aluminum to get the job done. It's all in the tags.

Most of the packages I looked at, that had XML somewhere in the
title, were GNOME apps. Isn't GNOME a PC on linux thing, or is that a
newbie myth that i subscribe to?

My other idea is to just load the 667 with Darwin, no GUI, and go
from there, but i'd stll have to place a 'bet' on one main version of
the management software and hope the suite of apps i find will
function within it. Any suggestions?

After reading all night through the documentation on a few sites, i
remembered back a ways, having a huge install that led to catch-22s,
like you can load this font package, but you'll need to trash that
lib, which will kill your environment manager... you know, crazy. If
I can do everything using java, a bit of our company's proprietary
stuff, and run-->cmd on a PC, then it seems all of that should be
easy to cobble together in the OpenSource world, no? What am i
missing here?

Thanks for any advice. :)

Brian S.