[X-Unix] safari auto-fill keychain [OT]

Alexandre Gauthier supernaut at underwares.org
Mon Dec 19 12:55:01 PST 2005

Ben Gold wrote:

> Well that's good to know, but I'm still interested in how it is
> encrypted and where... the keychain says "use this to decrypt file".
> But what file? What encryption?
>
> -Ben

I am going to go out on a limb and assume that what the keychain message
means is that it "uses this" to decrypt to autofill values, and not that
you actually should "use this".
This could very well be a "password" or the token used to encrypt the
data -- it could be generated, akin to the IIS account password in
Windows. (Lay off the tomatoes, it is the only analogy I found).

So much speculation, I know -- but it kinda makes sense. I farted around
with the value in my keychain, and it is definitely not an MD5 hash, nor
a base64 string.