[X-Unix] Installing Darwin from Aluminum PowerBook G4

Stephen Jonke sjj_public at mac.com
Wed Feb 9 13:43:43 PST 2005

I tried booting my PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz with the Darwin 7.0.1 boot CD,
which seems to be the latest boot CD, but it won't boot this system,
presumably because it is based on 10.3.0. So... has anyone had
experience with installing Darwin, especially installing from source?
I'd like to go straight to the latest Darwin 7.7 which is based on
10.3.7, but the source code doesn't come with helpful instructions.
It's not even clear if the source code provided is Darwin, or if it is
just a bunch of packages you can install in Darwin. At least nothing is
named with an obvious name such as "Darwin". It seems to be a hodge
podge. Any help would be appreciated. I want, specifically, to install
Darwin on an external drive.

Steve