[X-Unix] Re: Re: Unlinking a file... illegal characters?

Kino quinon at rio.odn.ne.jp
Sat Feb 26 20:36:06 PST 2005

On 27 Feb 2005, at 8:09, Stroller wrote:

> $ ls -ARfiw /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland
> ls: èÿÿÿvk␀␀..␀␀: File name too long

> Actually, it often _will_ display as question-marks, but othertimes as
> accented characters.
>
>   $ ls /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland
>   e??y??y??y??vk??????..??????

Those names are different from the file name shown by Finder in your
screen shot. I don't know if this will help you but set the encoding to
UTF-8 in Terminal => Window Settings => Display. Check also Wide glyphs
options. And create ~/.inputrc with the following content.

set convert-meta off
set meta-flag on
set output-meta on

Then open a new Terminal window. What happens if you drag and drop the
file from Finder to the Terminal window or use "ls -v" instead of "ls"?

Kino