[X-Unix] Re: Unlinking a file... illegal characters?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Feb 27 11:53:03 PST 2005

I know there are some posts I haven't replied to on this thread,
because I haven't gotten around to trying their suggestions yet, but
this is easy to answer.

On Feb 27, 2005, at 3:39 pm, William H. Magill wrote:
> On 26 Feb, 2005, at 06:11, Stroller wrote:
>> It's part of a big back-up of a customer's PeeCee, the rest of which
>> was zipped, burned to DVD & deleted. It was originally in "Program
>> Files", and I'm sure that this is just some file from the
>> installation of one of the Lego-branded computer games. Since I
>> regularly back-up PCs' whole C: drives to my portable drive by
>> booting to a Linux liveCD & using `cp -Rvf ...` many thousands of
>> files might be copied on & off this drive each week - my guess is
>> simple filesystem corruption.
>
> So, one question is -- how did this file get to OS X in the first
> place?

It's on my portable firewire drive. I have tried, but am unable to move
it to my Mac's internal HFS+ hard-drive.

> So this was this a Linux kernel writing to a Mac OS X volume?
> A "ufs" volume being shared between two different operating systems?

No, the firewire drive is FAT-formatted (FAT32?). I think I mentioned
that in my original posting, but I appreciate that was a few messages
ago; I am unable to delete it from Linux, Windows or Mac OS X.

> Either technique should scream "potential incompatibility" leading to
> "filesystem corruption."

It's neither of those techniques - could the crescendo of "filesystem
corruption" be drowning out yelps of "cheap filesystem" and cries of
"impact damage"?

> How about using the Linux Live CD to delete the file?

Tried. No joy.

Stroller.