[X-Unix] Re-mounting a Firewire Disk

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Mon Jan 10 12:06:35 PST 2005

On 10 Jan, 2005, at 00:16, Jerry Krinock wrote:
> To avoid forgetting to pull the plug without ejecting a firewire disk,
> have a script which ejects it every day.  But sometimes I don't leave
> and
> want it mounted again.  So, I have to pull the plug, count to three,
> and the
> plug it back in.
>
> This is so annoyingly silly.  I've been playing with diskutil trying
> to find
> a less labor-intensive way of doing this, but can't find any.  Is
> there a
> way?

It has to do with the design philosophy of the bus -- it really is
oriented around "PLUG and play!"

I believe that the dismount operation will cause the FireWire drive to
spin down and go quiescent.

Once it has gone quiescent, I would assume that the drive is no longer
listening on the data portion of the bus, and that it requires an
interrupt (bus reset) on the signal portion of the bus to "wake up" and
again listen.

Probably a "firewire bus reset" is needed, but I don't know for certain.
I found a reference in the Apple lists archive from Feburary 2004:

"Look at the function "BusReset" in IOFireWireLIb.h.

  However, instead of using BusResets to reset the whole system, use an
  analyzer (FireBug or FireSpy) to see what is really going on."

(Both FireBug and FireSPy are in the firewire SDK. Weather either is
easier or faster than simply unplugging and replugging the connector is
problematic.)

http://lists.apple.com/archives/firewire/2003/May/msg00013.html

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/
WorkingWFireWireDI/FWDevInterfaces/chapter_1_section_2.html

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.3.7
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com