[X-Unix] Re: Networking "guru" needed, dialin PPP not working

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Jul 15 02:28:47 PDT 2005

I'll avoid quoting my entire original message... see

http://listserver.themacintoshguy.com/pipermail/x-unix/2005-July/
002258.html

if you need a refresher...

The problem is "solved"....

Short version is this: I had tried tweaking things on my Powerbook
and Dell laptops at home, and the FreeBSD machine that I dial into
(both Mac and PC laptops were dialing into the same machine).

Failing everything else, I tried to think about solving the problem
from a different direction.

Before I left the office one day, I unplugged the 2nd Linksys router
and plugged the FreeBSD machine directly into the LAN.

I have not had any issues since.  Dialup succeeds on the first
attempt and I am always connected.

Now I have to figure out how to make this work so that I don't have
to manually unplug things when I leave the office.

I have a Linksys switch (not router) that I think I will try next
week and see if that works.

So remember, simplify as much as possible when looking for possible
causes.
TjL