[X-Unix] Raw Disk Copy from command line?

Ken Rossman rossman at columbia.edu
Fri Jul 15 10:06:16 PDT 2005

On Jul 15, 2005, at 12:51 PM, Alexandre Gauthier wrote:
> Say, suppose I was to make a 1:1 copy of some IRIX media CDs, and
> I assume them to not be readable by OS X. Let's pretend.

Depends on what you mean by "readable".  While the filesystems are
probably not, CDROM formats at the low-level, in general, are fairly
simple, well-known formats, and...  "bytes are bytes".

Use something like Roxio Toast and do an image copy.  I don't see why
that should not work if the CDROMs are of a standard enough low-level
format (probably either ISO 9660, possibly with extensions, or UFS).

Either Mac OS X will auto-mount the CD, if it recognizes the format,
or it won't.  If it does not (or cannot), it'll either pop up a dialog
box asking for further action, or it'll just eject the thing.

If it can't recognize the format, then there's probably not a lot you
can do under OS X to read it.

KR