[X-Unix] zip from command-line in Tiger

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sun Jun 26 10:42:35 PDT 2005

On Jun 26, 2005, at 11:17 AM, Stephen Jonke wrote:

> On Sunday, June 26, 2005, at 02:36AM, Scott J. Kramer <x-
> unix at sjk.us> wrote:
>
>> Sorry if I missed your reason earlier, but I'm curious why you're
>> using
>> zip instead of tar on 10.4 if you want to preserve resource forks.
>>

> The files to be compressed/archived are sometimes intended for
> Windows users too, and end up on a web server (obviously they don't
> get use of the resource fork if any, but with the Panther/
> Tiger .zip format the rest is intact for them.) Is it typical for a
> web server to handle tar files correctly? Can PC users decompress
> them without add-on software? How does it handle resource forks for
> non-Mac users? I had presumed tar wasn't an option, but hadn't
> really looked into it in depth.
>
> Steve

Most recent implementations of compression/decompression utilities
include support for the tar format.  Keep in mind that tar has been
around for a lot longer than the zip format.  I know that Windows can
handle tar files alright, but I'm not sure what happens with the
resource forks on Windows systems.  Web servers handle the tar format
correctly, although I believe there used to be some configuration
option that needed to be set for earlier versions of Apache.

I hope this helps a little.  On a side note, most people will use
tar, and further compress using gzip, or another zip format.