[X-Unix] zip from command-line in Tiger

Scott J. Kramer x-unix at sjk.us
Sun Jun 26 15:24:37 PDT 2005

--On Sunday, June 26, 2005 12:17  -0400 Stephen Jonke <sjj_public at mac.com>
wrote:

> How does it handle resource forks for non-Mac users? I had presumed tar
> wasn't an option, but hadn't really looked into it in depth.

On 10.4, files for resource forks will be added to tar archives with
._ prepended to the filename.  It's similar to using ditto (as Joao
explained) and how "Create Archive of ..." from Finder creates a zip
archive with a __MACOSX directory hierarchy that stores resource fork
files with ._ prepended to their names.

BOMArchiveHelper (via Finder) knows how to reassemble the fork files as
a single file when extracting, like the tar command with its archives on
10.4.  But unzip extracts each file separately on OS X, like extraction
utilities on other systems.

As you discovered, the zip/unzip commands were excluded from being made
fork-aware on 10.4.  Using ditto or BOMArchiveHelper (via Finder) seem
to be the current choices for preserving resource forks with zip files,
with less flexibility than tar.

And there StuffIt, but more Mac users have been migrating from it now
that Expander isn't bundled with 10.4.

I won't get into reasons for choosing a particular archive format since
later messages have covered some of the issues.

-sjk