[X-Unix] local IMAP server?

Michael Gmail mgrant at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 10:05:38 PST 2005

On Mar 18, 2005, at 11:38 AM, Stroller wrote:

>> Am I overlooking anything?
>
> What I found complicated was wrapping my head around the other mail
> transport layers. You don't need to worry about SMTP / Postfix /
> sendmail, because Entourage / Mail.app on your Mac can talk directly
> to your ISP's mailserver. but when you've finished installing your
> IMAP server you'll want some way of getting mail from the mailboxes
> you have with your ISP to your IMAP inbox. I use fetchmail for this -
> it can be told to call maildrop for message-filtering. You'll probably
> find yourself reading a few manpages.

Actually I've been using sendmail and later Postfix and bypassing my
ISP for outgoing mail for years, but I hadn't thought of that in
relation to IMAP.
I'm more concerned that I'll go through the whole setup process only to
find out that Entourage, or whatever other mail client I end up using,
doesn't give me the capabilities with IMAP mail that it has with
internally stored mail downloaded via POP. I finally did get some
wouldn't have the same flexibility because of lack of metadata in IMAP
unless I cached the mail in Entourage, which would defeat the whole
purpose of setting up IMAP. Sorry for the ignorance, but I've never had
an IMAP account so I have no clear idea of what its limitations may be.

Thanks,
Michael

--
<http://globalocal.blogspot.com/>

The government doesn't want you to know... e-mail doesn't work. At all.
It's a scientific impossibility.