[X-Unix] Re: lookupd

peter at frontierflying.com peter at frontierflying.com
Fri Mar 25 18:06:31 PST 2005

I have been looking through major search engines and the Apple support
forums and have not been able to find a way to disable it. I can change
performance settings but that is all.

The google reference doesn't address disabling lookupd just compiling
Darwin without ip6 support

We have several jaguar machines that lose DNS resolution periodically.
This began happening after I changed our name server over to OpenBSD 3.6
running Bind 9 chrooted. The simple fix should have been flushing caches
and going back to the old name server. Unfortunately that did not solve
the problem. We have plenty of other jaguar machines that are not giving
us problems so it can't just be an issue of OpenBSD and Bind.

I have tried configuring lookupd to not use its' cache (-flushcache
doesn't fix it) and instead go directly to the name servers and while this
helped (fewer failures), it did not solve the problem. So far the only
solution has been to either -HUP lookupd or restart the computers.

It is my understanding the BSD subsystem contains its' own resolver
routines independent of lookupd. I just want to see if that is the case.

peter