[X-Unix] Re: Repair permissions on volume with no OS?

Albert Lunde atlunde at panix.com
Sun Mar 27 21:10:48 PST 2005

> Sorry, I should have given more detail. I am asking if there is a way
> to repair permissions on a volume that doesn't have OS X on it. Here is
> what I know:
[...]
> The volume is set to ignore permissions, so I tried changing that. It
> fixed the problem, but caused problems with a couple of essential PC's,
> so I changed it back. It has been ignoring permissions for over a year,
> and having problems for about a week, so I don't think that is the
> cause of our problem.
[...]
> About the only suggestion I've received from other lists has been that
> it's a permissions problem, and that seems to make sense in a weird
> way.

Bear in mind that "Repair Permissions" isn't a cure-all for problems with
Unix-style permissions, it can only "fix" the permissions of a finite set
of things listed in the data it's got from Apple, mostly solving things
like set-uid root executables that have lost the setuid bit.

If you are dealing with a file/directory not set up by an Apple installer,
"Repair Permissions" most likely doesn't know the right thing to do.

In that case, someone may need to work out from first principles
what's the correct permissions, and then set them with tools like
chmod and chown (say, using sudo, to run them as root).

So do the other lists suggest _what kind_ of permissions problem
may be your problem?