[X-Unix] Command line audio mixer for OS X?

Paul Whittaker whitpa at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 17 05:24:43 PDT 2005

Does anyone know of a character-based (non-GUI) audio mixer - something
akin to aumix (which unfortunately lacks CoreAudio support, and is
therefore not an option) or alsamixer (which obviously doesn't work, due
to lack of ALSA drivers) - for Mac OS X?

I need such a thing as a back end for PHP web scripting (specifically
Glirnath[.sourceforge.net]).  I have all the other components that I
need - from Fink or elsewhere - but I can't find this.  You can adjust
audio playback volume in mpg123, but not on the fly.  I know that Fink
provides an EsounD server (ESD) that's CoreAudio-aware, but I don't want
to use this.

Alternatively, I'll take any suggestions for an OS X application that
implements a web-based music jukebox with **server-side** playback that
you think is as good or better than Glirnath.