[X-Unix] Stop Terminal truncating stdout to window width?

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Tue Nov 28 11:42:54 PST 2006

Whenever I a run a command which produces stdout wider than the window, it
gets truncated immediately.  For example, say I'm trying to find a process
named "myProcess"

ps -alx | grep myProcess

If I save this in a .command script, give it to someone and they run it,
myProcess is usually not found because the ps stdout will be longer than 80
characters, and some not-so-smart ass decided to truncate this to the
Terminal window width, ^before^ it even gets piped to grep.  If the user
then make the window wider and re-runs the command, it works.  ARGGGHHH!!!!

I've been searching without success for a way to change this infantile
behavior.  Seems like it should be an environment variable of some kind.  Is
there?

Jerry Krinock