[X-Unix] !@#$@!#$%$% X11 (in Leopard of course)!

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 10:05:11 PST 2007

On 12/19/07, Eugene <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 01:20:17PM CST, Eric F Crist <ecrist at secure-computing.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 18, 2007, at 11:16 AM, TjL wrote:
> >>
> >> 1) Leopard is now Unix, not Unix-like, which is why (as one example)
> >> ps -auxww doesn't work but ps auxww works
> >
> > Copyrights aside, BSD is UNIX, and OS X has the userland utils from
> > FreeBSD.  AFAIK, Apple is getting closer and closer to being a better,
> > solid Unix OS, with the same configuration and non-obfuscation as most of
> > the *BSDs out there.
>
> I think TjL's point is that Leopard is UNIX 03 compliant, which is
> (unfortunately) not the case with any free *BSD (or Linux) system

Precisely.

> > Coming from a background of 10+ years behind a FreeBSD CLI, I find things
> > getting better, rather than worse.
>
> Agreed.

Well, 10 years ago I was using OpenStep, so it's been an interesting
road for me.  I've dabbled in FreeBSD and worked a few Lin*x variants
(talk about frustration, hey everyone, let's change everything in
every flavor!) and joyfully entered the Mac world about 4 years ago,
so it's definitely been getting better since the days of trying to
compile source code on my 25Mhz NeXTStation or my 133Mhz Pentium
(given that even gcc didn't want to compile, getting anything to work
was a major PITA).

However, I certainly think Apple's CLI is moving in the right
direction from my limited experience.  It is weird not to have lookupd
after all these years with it (I used NeXT from 1991-2000 and then
started with a Mac in 2003).  I've actually made an alias
"restart-lookupd"  with the new command in it :-)

TjL