[X-Unix] Standard Protocol Equivalent for Terminal "open" Command??

Rick Gordon rick at rickgordon.com
Fri Nov 2 13:46:53 PDT 2007

Because what I would prefer is to simple be able to key in a double-clickable URL into an email, rather than have to explain to a newbie how to use Terminal, negotiate a file path, or even create and attach an AppleScript to an email.

Simplicity.

Rick Gordon

------------------

On 11/2/07 at 4:29 PM -0400, david wrote in a message entitled
"Re: [X-Unix] Standard Protocol Equivalent for Terminal "ope":

>On Nov 2, 2007, at 4:01 PM, Rick Gordon wrote:
>
>>[Cross-posted to the OS X for Users list, but with no response to date]
>>
>>Is there any standard (or easily distributable) protocol (syntactically like http, file, ftp, etc.) that can be prefixed to a POSIX path that can duplicate a Terminal "open" command? So that (assuming that the protocol was "open"):
>>
>>open:///Library/Application%20Support would open the global Application Support folder in the Finder, or
>>open:///Applications/Utilities/Disk%20Utility.app would launch the Disk Utility application, or
>>reveal:///Applications/Utilities/Disk%20Utility.app would reveal the Disk Utility application in the Finder?
>>
>>Some thing like that would be a boon for technical support emails requiring an unsophisticated user to easily access a file or folder, without having to laboriously explain the file path.
>>--
>
>Why not simply use:
>
>open /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility.app
>
> or for a file path:
>
>open /Library/Application\ Support
>
>You can even bundle it within a double-clickable AppleScript if you want.
>
>ie, via:
>
>do shell script "open /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility.app"
>
>although you can do that via AppleScript itself.

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING