[X-Unix] Leopard Short Name Issue

Richard Hartman seasoft at west.net
Tue Jan 22 12:22:01 PST 2008

I have encountered a bizarre situation that I have been unable to
resolve.

The machine is an emac running postfix (managed by the Mailserve GUI
front end to Postfix) under Leopard 10.5.1.

The issue: The main admin account on this machine (LONG name
"Richard") has become associated in some way with TWO "short names",
"rjh" and "richard".

The leopard installation was an "archive and install" from a panther
installation (after  hacking, without problems, the Leopard installer
to permit installation on the 700 mhz eMac).

Everything on the system appears to be running smoothly, including
postfix, timbuktu, fax, and numerous other tasks.

The schizophrenia evidence:

0. There is no user "richard" in /Users/; there is of course a user
"rjh".

1. If I try to create a new admin account with a new LONG name ("Rick,
for example) and the short name "richard", I get a dialog that the
short name "richard" is already taken by another user. (There are a
couple other accounts on the machine, neither has long or short name
remotely close to "richard" or "Richard").

2. If I send email to "rjh at myserver.org", it gets placed, as expected,
in mbox /var/mail/rjh

3. If I send email to "richard at myserver.org", it gets placed in
another mbox /var/mail/richard

BUT: Both the richard and rjh mboxes belong to user "Richard" (e.g.,
there is no password prompt if I command:

rjh$ mail -u richard

4. If I send mail to any OTHER nonexistent user (other than
"richard"), e.g. someuser at myserver.org, it goes, via my Postfix
settings, into the rjh mbox as expected.

At a minimum, I would like to be able to get to the "richard" mbox
with a mail client, but can't figure out how to do that because it
seems to be a second mbox owned by "rjh". Apple Mail only sees the
"rjh" mbox.

I've snooped through James Bucanek's documentation for
"ChangeShortName" (which doesn't work under Leopard) but didn't get
any ideas. I do know enough to be aware that the netinfo database has
been superseded in Leopard, but not enough to know how to understand
or fix this problem.

Any tips or guidance much appreciated,

Richard