[X-Unix] A (seemingly) simple question...

Eric Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Tue May 24 18:12:38 PDT 2011

FWIW, logs are typically stored in /var.  This holds true, even on Macs, though with a twist.  If you look at your system root ('/' on a console), you'll note that there exists a symlink to /private/var.  There's a few other similar juicy bits, as well:

lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root    wheel    11B Apr 17  2010 etc -> private/etc
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root    wheel     1B May  2 07:54 home
-rw-r--r--@   1 root    wheel    18M Jan 29 17:18 mach_kernel
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root    wheel     1B May  2 07:54 net
drwxr-xr-x@   6 root    wheel   204B Apr 17  2010 private
drwxr-xr-x@  67 root    wheel   2.2K Mar 23 10:34 sbin
lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root    wheel    11B Apr 17  2010 tmp -> private/tmp
drwxr-xr-x@  14 root    wheel   476B Nov 26 20:19 usr
lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root    wheel    11B Apr 17  2010 var -> private/var

Section 7 of the system manual for hier will shed some light.  (man 7 hier).

Hope this helps.

Eric