[X4U] Apple pull your finger out.

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Aug 4 04:03:21 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 03:03:12AM -0500, Robert Nicholson wrote:
:
: I'm trying to use my AOL account as the profile to purchase free books
: from Apple's itunes store and it's telling me that the country of my
: AOL account isn't supported for iTunes.
:
: firstly, I'm in the USA and secondly what the hell has my AOL account's
: country have to do with it?

Apple has to do separate negotiations in each country due to differences
in the local laws regarding music purchases.  That's one big reason why
the iTMS has taken longer to reach non-U.S. countries.  Apple does not
want trouble from countries where it hasn't made any deals.  So to stay
safe, Apple checks the country of origin of your AOL account.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the music industry.

: secondly, why does Apple even care when we're talking about free books?

1) How to you "purchase" "free books"?

2) Just because it is "free" doesn't mean it's available to any person
from any part of the world.  Blame the publishing industry.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/