[X4U] Sandisk USB Low power notice

Frank Isackson fisackson at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 4 19:31:56 PDT 2004

On Aug 4, 2004, at 9:01 AM, John Richardson wrote:

> When I plug in a "Scandisk USB Cruzer Mini" flash drive I get an
> Information dialog with the following message:
>      "USB Low Power Notice"
>
> What does this mean?
>
> Also, the disk does not show up in the Disk Utility GUI.
>
> Any solutions?

John,

This literally means that your Mac has insufficient power to provide
its USB port. I see this on my Cube when I fail to plug any USB device
that requires significant power, e.g. Zip[ drive, to anything but my
powered hub ($30.00). Now my USB flash device (Sony 256 MB) does not
give me that problem so it plugs into the keyboard with nary a
complaint. Apparently yours has a greater demand and thus the only
suggestion I can offer is to buy a powered hub.

Frank Isackson