[X4U] iTunes library on external drive

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 11 00:24:01 PDT 2004

On 8/10/04 11:33 PM, "lists3-200402" <lists3-200402 at verizon.net> wrote:

>>>  You want to go to the iTunes preferences, click Advanced, then click=20=
>>
>>>  Change
>>>  and navigate to your new folder's location. Click OK after you've done=20=
>>
>>>  this,
>>>  and everything should be fine.
>>>
>> i did exactly that. but nothing happens...
>
> itunes can be a bit flaky if you point it to an external drive...then
> later if you launch itunes and it doesn't see the external drive, the
> setting reverts to your itunes folder. i just sent a suggestion to
> apple asking for a dialog box to be presented if the preferred
> location is not accessible.

If that doesn't work, try making an alias of the iTunes folder on the
external drive and placing it in your Music folder.

I've got one iPod linked to a library on an external drive with no problems,
FWIW.

Kirk

        My new e-book: Take Control of Users and Accounts in Panther
          http://www.tidbits.com/takecontrol/panther/users.html
  . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
  . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .