[X4U] Re: Problems upgrading to MacOSX 10.3.6

Peter Stoddard peter at stoddard.name
Tue Dec 14 09:54:31 PST 2004

I have encountered a problem.  I recently purchased two SmartDisk
Firelight drives for backups.  I love these little firelight drives,
but in this case they would not show up on the desktop of my MacOSX
10.3.6 system.  The reason according to the SmartDisk website is that

"Due to the recent Apple Mac OS 10.3.6 update, some Firewire FireLites
and CrossFire hard drives may no longer mount on some Macs.  More
specifically the FWFLxx-N and CrossFire hard drives.  All model
FireLites FWFLxx-N and CrossFire hard drives have the Initio Chipset
1430.  Certain firmware versions are effected and others are not.
Individual results may vary based on Lot# of the drive, capacity, and
the type of Mac you are running.

FireLite 40GB and 60GB (FWFL40-N and FWFL60-N) versions do not seem to
be effected. Only 80GB version or larger.

  Initio has released a firmware update to correct this issue.

  The update must be run on a non-10.3.6 system, or from a 10.3.6 system
that can mount the drive."

T find all this, go to

http:// www.smartdisk.com/Support --> Technical Support and Downloads
and see the text that says:

"We have now posted a fix for FireWire hard drives effected by the
10.3.6 update.

CrossFire and FWFLxx-N models only.  Please click Here
(http://sdkbase.smartdisk.com/articleRedirect.asp?aid=1141) for more
information."

On Dec 13, 2004, at 4:40 PM, x4u-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com