[X4U] OSX 10.3 install fails on disk 2

Rad Craig rad at inductionconcepts.com
Wed Dec 22 22:46:02 PST 2004

I got my little sis a Pismo for college, for xmas.  I just got it and
am installing 10.3 on it.  I blew the drive away, formatted OSX
extended (journaled) and started from scratch.  I unchecked all the
languages and printer drivers.

Disk 1 finished without problems.  I reboot, get promted to insert disk
2 and it gets almost done, to about 9 minutes remaining, then says
something like 'errors were encountered during installation' and the
button changes to 'quit'.

I have done this twice now, with two different Disk #2's and got the
same error both times.

After the first install, I was doing the software update, which was
quite a list, and it hosed up on the last item in the list, which is
all the 10.3 updates for OSX (like 97MB).  Then it would no longer
connect to the internet via ethernet.  I restarted twice, repaired disk
permissions, but that didn't fix anything.  I mounted the disk 2 and
ran the install.pkg manually and it finished without problems, but
still acted flaky.  I tried to reboot on a recovery CD I have, but when
I selected it in 'startup disk' and clicked reboot, it would just sit
there and never reboot.  So I closed startup disk and restarted it via
the apple menu, held the 'c' key down during boot, and it ignored it
and booted to the HD like normal.

So after all these strange things, I decided I'd try it all again, used
a different disk 2 cd, but got the same results.

This is a Pismo, 400mhz, 11.2G HD, 192MB.

Any suggestions?  I've got to have this thing all setup for her by xmas
eve.

Rad...