[X4U] ATA/66

John McGibney ensignjd at optonline.net
Sun Jul 11 07:08:34 PDT 2004

> From: Jens Selvig <lstnmt at bresnan.net>
> Subject: Re: [X4U] ATA/66
> Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 06:38:09 -0600
>

> On Jul 11, 2004, at 12:57 AM, Kansas Territory wrote:
>
>>> On Jul 10, 2004, at 8:14 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>
>>> I just realized something that none of us mentioned.  The odds are
>>> you can only use drives up to a certain size (128GB IIRC, you can use
>>> larger, you just won't be able to access them all).
>>>

>> could you but a drive larger than 128GB, partion it into sections
>> smaller than 128 GB in size, then be able to access it all ?
>>

> The drive doesn't see anything there to partition, so to use a drive
> larger than 137  GB (I am not sure of the exact size) you will need to
> install a separate drive controller card. (Or get a new computer!)
>
> Jens Selvig
> ...lost in Montana...

You need an ATA 133 card to see over 128/137 gigs of drive in both X and 9
If you use any other speed you'll see only the first 128/137.43 gigs in OS 9
but all in X. The second partition isn't bootable. And only visible in X.
The drive must be formatted while running in X.

John
--
 One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them.
 One OS to bring them all and in anti-competitive practices bind them.