[X4U] Mac OCR

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Jul 28 09:49:52 PDT 2004

On Jul 28, 2004, at 11:30 AM, Winston wrote:

> I'm not sure how, but in Preview, some pdf's are text-selectable and
> are converted to text. I've done it.
>
> Maybe someone could tell us what determines whether a particular pdf
> is Preview-savvy.

If I understand what you're asking, it all depends on how the pdf is
made. For most pdf's, the text is actually text (ASCII  or equivalent
characters) and can be selected. There are some pdf's however, where
what looks like text is actually an image of some text (what you get if
someone scans in a page of text). You can't select that "text" because
its really an image, you need to use OCR software to turn it into
actual text.

Hope that isn't too confusing.

-Mike