[X4U] How can we compete?

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 2 06:38:31 PST 2004

On 11/2/04 5:27 PM, "Chris Malanga" <cmalanga at bgsualumni.com> wrote:

> How is Apple supposed to compete with this?  I've been waiting for a deal on
> a computer to be the "center of my digital hub" now, but even with an eMac
> at $799, I'd still have to add AirPort, a SuperDrive, wireless keyboard and
> mouse, a card reader, and EyeTV to even come close.  I'm seriously
> considering one of these Medions to fill the task until Apple comes out with
> something similar.

It's true that there's some pretty good hardware (at least according to the
specs) in what you presented. But you don't get OS X, nor do you get iLife
and the other bundled apps that make the Mac a better tool for the "digital
hub". But I agree that Apple should be making computers like that - they're
missing out on a big part of the market (though that's nothing new).

Kirk

    My forthcoming book: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
      Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France