[X4U] Max Mail Size?

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Oct 28 09:02:21 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 09:36:27AM -0400, Cover, Chris wrote:
: Eugene wrote:
: > On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 10:59:13AM -0400, Cover, Chris wrote:
: > :
: > : The problem I had was in responsing to an email from this list. It
: > : bounced back saying that the admin would have to approve of the email
: > : because it was "too large." But nowhere near 5MB
: >
: > Okay, much better.  The list admins have set up a custom rule that
: > limits incoming messages to a specific size to protect list members
: > from being overwhelmed by spam or otherwise large mail messages.  It
: > also helps to force list members to trim their messages instead of
: > quoting a message several hundred lines long and top-posting with a
: > "me-too" one-line response.
:
: Here's the deal. I replied to one of the 'opener" posts.
: It was intercepted by the listmaster for being 'to large."

Okay, you got a notice saying that the message is "too large".
I follow you so far.

: I just received a notice that the
: email was rejected for "no reason given."

Hmmm?  Is this notice to a new message, or to the previous message?
If the former, was it another reply to one of the "Opener" posts?

: So basically it confirmed that the list is being moderated for
: content in some form that is not related to the email server.

The list software automatically rejects messages beyond a certain
size.  I don't think it does anything else like scan for naughty
words and such.  And I don't think this list is human-moderated in
the sense that every message sent to the list is manually scanned,
hand-approved, and forwarded onward by some human being.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/