[X4U] phono to CD

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 30 00:18:56 PDT 2004

>From: Crandon David <tabdave at comcast.net>
>
>Hmmm....you're going to have to refresh my memory here. What I remember
>is that a ceramic cartridge has much higher output voltage than the
>usual MM (moving magnet) cartridges, so a preamp isn't necessary, but
>the RIAA Eq curve is a function of the pressing of the record, and is
>independent of the type of cartridge, whether it's MM, Ceramic or MC
>(moving coil).

Magnetic cartridges produce output where the instantaneous voltage is
proportional to the instantaneous lateral velocity.  This means that
low notes produce much smaller output than high notes.  RIAA Eq was
introduced so that there don't have to be larger stylus swings for
the low note components which would increase the groove spiral pitch
and shorten the playing time.

Ceramic (and crystal) cartridges produce output proportional to the
displacement of the stylus and so is pretty well frequency
independent.  It turns out that the output from a ceramic cartridge
is fairly close to what is required.  If you apply RIAA to it, the
sound will be wrong.  You could say that the workings of a ceramic
cartridge gives it a roughly RIAA response naturally.

Ceramic cartridges are piezo-electric and do give much higher outputs
than magnetic.  Magnetic devices rely on movement; piezo ones on
force.  With magnetic, the small wiggles in the groove give a small
output; with ceramic, the force due to the wiggles depends on the
stiffness of the coupling between the stylus tip and the
piezo-electric elements.  Magnetic stylus couplings are floppy,
ceramic ones are stiff.  This stiffness also means that ceramic
cartridges cause more record wear and don't follow the groove as
cleanly.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
dledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk