[X4U] Deleting pesky files

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 1 01:30:45 PST 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 10:05 pm, Kevin.Hahn at colorado.edu wrote:

> Other suggestions for deleting files that no matter how many times I
> restart,
> how many times I quit apps, how many different ways I try to delete
> them they
> say:
>
> "The item "xxx.xx" is being used by another task right now {its not}.
> (Other
> tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the Trash.)

Have you actually tried deleting them from the terminal?

Open terminal in Applications / Utilities & type `sudo rm -rf `
(without the quotes, but with the space) then drag the files onto the
terminal window. The paths to the files will now appear after the `rm
-rf ` you just typed; now click on the terminal window again & hit
enter.

If the files are on the desktop then you'll need to click on the
desktop before it'll update to show them removed.

Stroller.