[X4U] Re: Un-erase?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 1 20:15:14 PST 2005

On Apr 2, 2005, at 2:13 am, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

> [...]

In the UK, I have recently found data recovery to have become
surprisingly affordable.

Vogon, a well-established & -respected company charge nothing for
inspecting the drive & delivering a quotation and claim that "in 90% of
cases, the cost of data recovery is between £200 and £400 plus VAT".
The mention "MAC all versions" in their list of supported
operating-systems.

This bloke <http://www.retrodata.co.uk/> charges:
- private individuals (c 1 week turnaround): £75.00 + £1.50/gig
- business (c 3 days turnaround): £145.00 + £2/gig
- business priority: £225 + £3/gig   (all figures include VAT)
He has a very good reputation on a couple of UK computing newsgroups,
and promises to refund your recovery fee if he can't get any data.

If you base your assumptions on the likelihood that you've lost your
files & they're gone forever, data recovery is a gamble - you might
spend the money & still have nothing to show for it. But from as little
at £115 for a 20gig hard-drive it would seem now to be within the
realms of affordability even for private individuals.

Stroller.