[X4U] Deleting pesky files

John Daschbach jldasch at mac.com
Sat Apr 2 17:13:57 PST 2005

Have you tried deleting them from a terminal?  e.g.

cd /Users/myhome/Desktop
rm -r -f PeskyFolder

or

sudo rm -r -f PeskFolder

Do you run an antivirus program.  I started to have this problem at
work, trying to eject a portable drive and getting the in use error.
Using 'top' in a terminal showed that Norton anti virus was busy
working on the portable drive.  Once I made the anti-virus on demand
only the problem went away.

Although I have not done it on OS X, dropping into single user mode
might work.  As root (and perhaps sudo depending on how it's setup) you
can

/sbin/init 1

from a terminal, which should leave you with a non-gui console session.
  Generally most file systems are unmounted when you do this, which
might help.   The as root (or sudo) you could delete as above.

Note that names which work in the Mac world can sometimes be a real
pain in the Unix world.  For instance, if you have any file/folder
beginning with a '-' life is very hard, or one with ' in it.  Spaces
are not fun but easy to quote or escape around.   I'm sure this doesn't
sound fun, but one of the really great things about Mac OS X is that
it's Unix at the core, and Unix started from extremely bright minds and
has a long development history.

-John