[X4U] move folder/file system callbacks?

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Mon Apr 4 08:36:30 PDT 2005

Something really cool happened right now while editing an OmniOutliner
document: I moved the file to a brand new folder behind the scenes
while the document was open, something I had forget. When I switched to
OmniOutliner and wanted to save the document, the program suggested to
save it in its current correct folder! Magic!

I was pleasently surprised so I played around a bit and noted that if
instead of the file itself I moved its folder, the application updates
the file in its current location transparently.

First of all my admiration to the Omni developers for implementing such
refined details. But I wonder how that can be accomplished technically.
Can an application install some hook to be notified of files and
folders moves?

-- fxn