[X4U] Is The OSX 10.3.8 Update Ok? [Server]

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 6 14:36:49 PDT 2005

At 12:40 -0700 6/4/05, revDAVE wrote:
>On 4/5/05 5:57 PM, "Mark Gibson" <gibsonm at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>>  Well I've had no problems on my 4 machines or any of my clients with
>>  10.3.8 workstation (and the various other patches).
>>
>>  OS X Server is a different issue though but I'm assuming you aren't
>>  asking about that so I wont bore you.
>

>I'd like to know - if you have the time.
>
>--
>Thanks - RevDave
>CoolCat at hostalive.com
>[db-lists]

Well a couple of people have asked so I thought I'd respond.

The impacts of upgrades to the server software are varied depending
on how many of its products you use.

If all you use is file services then all the patches are fine. Indeed
they have improved several facets of the software.

However if you are using mail, web, print, use a lot of fonts and a
few other services then there is a good chance that at least one of
the upgrades has "broken" one of those services. The biggest issue at
the moment seems to be the most recent security patch with many
people (but not all) have had issues with in regard to mail.

The best idea is to look at the Apple Discussion forums and the
various server lists to see if someone with a similar configuration
to you (almost every server is configured differently) has had a
problem.

If it seems OK (and you have the resources) install the upgrade on a
test server and test comprehensively. If you don't have the
resources, warn your users of possible disruption, make a full
backup, install the upgrades and see what happens.

Be prepared to implement your "roll back" plan though.

"Most" people (this is not a guarantee though) find the upgrade
through to 10.3.8 (apart from the last security patch) is OK. But
your kilometreage(?) might vary.

Lot of people are hoping 10.3.9 will come out before 10.4 so they
don't have to upgrade to fix these issues (and perhaps swap them for
new ones).
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization. --
Unknown