[X4U] Replacing / slash with a - dash

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Thu Apr 7 14:45:52 PDT 2005

And since I did lose all my email including this list I was wondering if
anybody would be kind enough to repost the terminal commands necessary to
system wide replace file names that have a slash in them with a dash. At
home I backup everything to a Linux machine but I often get stuck (when a
file transfer stops) searching folders where there's a / (or a ?) (which are
illegal file characters under Linux) and replacing it with a - which is ok.
I now never use a slash or question mark in my file names.

I also backup to an OS9 machine but it won't accept the long file names that
OSX will (hence the Linux backup) but is there an app that will truncate OSX
file names to a length that is OS9 compliant?

Thanx

Richard