[X4U] Turn on file sharing from the Terminal?

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Wed Apr 13 14:01:13 PDT 2005

Is it possible to turn on file sharing from the terminal?  One of my
supportees has an iBook running 10.2.8 that is exhibiting the failing
logic board issues, including no monitor (LCD or external) and no
firewire target mode.  Apple is waiting for me to pack it up and send
it, but I'm trying to get a few files off of it.

I can hear it go through the boot sequence, and at the login window,
when I enter the first letter of the name, then press return and enter
the user's password, I can hear it log in.  I can open the hard drive
and folders and apps by typing the first letter then command-o.  It's
not on the network (an Airport network), so I presume that file sharing
is turned off.

I can open the terminal (At least I'm pretty sure I can).  Is there a
simple command that will turn on filesharing from the terminal?  I
can't use the Sharing pref pane since I cannot see where the cursor is.

Thanks for any help,

Peter

A little computer haiku:
I can't remember
the last time I restarted
I love OS X

This message sent with Mail.app 1.3 on Mac OS X 10.3.8
pkrug at mac.com