[X4U] Let's start the FUD presses.

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Fri Apr 15 13:50:21 PDT 2005

Thurrot must have some sort of cognitive disfunction. He so
consistently says things like "Contrary to Apple's hyperbolic claims of
"200 new features," Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger includes, in my opinion, only
two major new features, Spotlight and Dashboard...", that must be
oblivious to the faulty comparison.

He fails to make his point about inconsistent UI. All he really says is
that Mail 2 doesn't look like it used to or like the Finder or the
"brushed metal" apps. So? Neither did 1.0 or 1.3.9. And, neither does
Entourage. Or InDesign. Or Firefox. That's OK, because they aren't part
of the OS, they're applications. There's nothing to the look that's
confusing to a new or experienced user. Except...

If you look at the bottom right corner of the new mail folder list,
there's some sort of control that looks like 3 vertical lines. Do you
drag that to resize the list bar or do you click it to open and close
the bar?

As for my naive opinion of the bar, I detest the Outlook interface, so
I'm not excited to see anything like it creep into an Apple app. I like
the drawer because I can position it on the right, where my mouse most
often is when reading mail (for scrolling, etc).