[X4U] Let's start the FUD presses.

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Apr 16 13:03:08 PDT 2005

Neil Laubenthal said:

>>I wish the Dock were an optional program....
>You can do what I do . . . put it at the top and hide it. You can't
>get rid of it but at least you never know it's there this way.

Sure you can get rid of it.  You can do so with any of these:

Dock Death (free)
http://www.nonamescriptware.com/forums/index.php?&act=Downloads&CODE=02&id=
15

Dock Toggler (free)
http://www.nonamescriptware.com/forums/index.php?&act=Downloads&CODE=02&id=
14

DockDisabler (free)
http://www.chaoticsoftware.com/extras.html

KillDock (free)
http://madej.ca/killdock/

You can then install an Application Menu, similar to OS 9's, with
something like:

X-Assist (free)
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pli/x-assist/

You will also need a utility to put the trashcan on the desktop (since it
is gone now that the dock is gone) (Assuming that you aren't content with
just using a keyboard shortcut):

Trash X ($9)
http://www.northernsoftworks.com/trashx.html

And, of course, you will probably want to make the Apple menu like it was
in OS 9 also:

Xmenu (free)
http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/freeware.php

ClassicMenu ($10)