[X4U] DVD regions code

Michael W. Sumbera sumbera at mac.com
Mon Apr 18 07:38:58 PDT 2005

Well, not that it will tell you outright, but (most) every DVD has a
region code.  If you look at the box for a disc that plays, you should
see what region it is coded for, thus knowing what region the player is
set for.

It can change.  If you insert a disc from a different region, you
should be prompted if you want to change the players region so you can
view the new disc, say switching from region 1 to region 2, but you can
only do that a limited number of times (the dialog box should tell you
how many more switches you have).

A DVD's region coding is generally determined by place of
manufacture/intended sale.  A quick graphic for how this breaks down:
http://www.laserrot.com/info/lrinfo/dvdmap.html