[X4U] How To Anti-Encode Audio File

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 25 09:48:25 PDT 2005

On 4/24/05 6:55 PM, Dave Checkman <dcheckman at cox.net> wrote:

> Kansas T. wrote ...
>
>> if you have an aiff file and you have itunes create an .mp3 file, the
>> original .aiff files remain.  Correct ?     you have to make the
>> decision, to DELTE the .aiff file your self.  And I think iTunes does
>> ask you "are you sure" before you delete ?
>
> Well, K.T., it may well have done so. I don't recall. Whatever
> happened, it didn't forcefully enough make me sit up and realize what
> I might be doing as I proceeded. Yep, as part of a train of what I
> might call "anticipatory steps" one (at least speaking for myself)
> wants to get on with the immediate task at hand and never mind the
> "lead-ups".
>
> There's something psychologically askew here about tying so closely
> that irreversible deletion decision to  getting on with a more
> immediate task (getting an MP3 made).

The decision does not come BEFORE making the mp3. Deleting the .aiff file is
not an anticipatory step. It is not even a step that occurs after the
conversion takes place. iTunes does not prompt you to delete the original.
You have to actively choose to delete the .aiff file which iTunes left
unaltered. When you try and delete a file from the iTunes Library, it will
ask you if you're sure. Which apparently you said you were. It then places
the file in the Trash (again, it notes this in the dialog box). Did you then
empty the Trash? If so, then I'm not sure what else iTunes could have done
to protect you from yourself other than disobeying your own actions.

Eddie Hargreaves