[X4U] Save .mov files

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 09:11:49 PDT 2005

On 4/26/05 4:34 AM, Eugene <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net> wrote:

> AFAIK, there is no special encoding that makes a QuickTime movie
> playable only from the web site.  If you can see in your browser,
> you can save it to your hard drive.  The exception is streamed
> content, which requires other techniques to rip it to a file.

Unfortunately, that's not 100 percent true.

I have saved full, non-streamed .mov files from web sites that, when I
opened them in QuickTime Player, would launch a web browser and take me to a
page on the site where the movie was supposed to be. QuickTime Player would
display a message in the movie window about 'Sorry, we're now taking you to
www.whatever.com'

Months later, if the page on the web site has disappeared, you're stuck with
a XXMB movie file that cannot be played.

This is a very rare occurrence, but I've seen certain sites take advantage
of this capability (starwars.com in particular).