[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Apr 28 03:09:20 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 04:43:37AM CDT, Kirk McElhearn <kirklists at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
:
: On Apr 28, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Eugene wrote:
:
: >Apple's Lossless Audio Codec does not preserve CD-specific stuff like
: >the TOC.  So things like CDDB will no longer work for that CD, if you
: >plan to make a backup of an Audio CD that you want to work just like
: >the original.  If you care about that stuff.
:
: Actually, the CDDB will work - if you import tracks with iTunes, you
: can query the CDDB at a later time (say if you don't have an Internet
: connection when importing) and get track info.

That's not what I mean.  I'm talking about duplicating an Audio CD so
that any computer reading the duplicate Audio CD will query the correct
CDDB information.  AFAIK, recording an Audio CD as individual tracks
(regardless of the codec) will cause Audio CDs re-burned from ripped
tracks to be unrecognized by CDDB-aware apps.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/