[X4U] Re: Reprise - Disappearing Folders

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Thu Aug 4 13:52:05 PDT 2005

On 8/4/05 3:21 PM, Jon Warms wrote:

> I'm confused. Icons in the sidebar are really
> aliases of the real items. If they disappear without
> being actually removed, I think it means the volume
> they're actually on is no longer available.

Not that my own anecdote helps Bob solve his problem, but I have seen this
happen with the Dock as well. A document or folder is put into the Dock, and
the original is then deleted! Why? I ask. "It's in the Dock, I didn't need
it two places" I am told. Of course they don't; the trick is to explaining
aliases, especially to friends who never used OS 9.

> So none of the folders or files were actually "on" the
> sidebar; they had a physical location on some volume.
> For example, they might have been on a network device
> that was no longer connected. Or a removable flash drive,
> or hard drive that's no longer there.

Bob, is there any chance that the scenario Jon outlines above might apply in
your situation -- that the folders that have gone missing from your sidebar
were on a removable media that you no longer have connected to the machine?

-Linda