[X4U] Archiving Mail

revDAVE coolcat at hostalive.com
Mon Aug 8 09:30:34 PDT 2005

Rad,

 the first  step is to  create a " real " copy in Apple mail - rather than a
virtual IMAP version... ( sorry, I do not quite know how to do this in Apple
mail)

Just a quick thought ...  Personally - I would want all my archived e-mail's
to be stored in an e-mail program rather than in PDF files - or text files
etc... The fact is - that e-mail programs are basically database
applications that are meant to search and sort e-mail's perfectly...

So ... I really do not use Apple mail... So I cannot comment on archive
methods ... But I would like to give you a few thoughts on other programs...

 for example:

-  basically with what ever E-mail program I used - I would generally store
a " cherry empty template " that was all set up with the proper addresses
and folders etc. - but contained zero e-mail's...

           what I used to do with Eudora:

-  I would simply grab all the varied e-mail folders from the Eudora master
folder -  and throw them in an archive folders ...  Then I could reference
these at any point in the future in their perfect original condition

- *   Often you can reference the older archive by simply putting a folder
alias in the  original location... (Both Eudora and entourage would allow
this)

-  then I would simply replace the main Eudora folder with my  " cherry
empty template "

            what I do in entourage:

-  basically the same thing - I simply grab the entourage identity - and
Move it to an archive location -  available whenever I want in the future -
and replace that with my  " cherry empty template "

- Personally I find this to be the best way to deal with older e-mail's...

-  I would imagine that you can simply find where the current Apple mail
data is stored ...  Move it and replace it with  a  " cherry empty template
" And create an archive back up that way ...  If you cannot figure out how
to make a template ... Then once you have backed up the master folder ...
Then you can simply delete all the mail in the Master version ...( clean it
out) ...  And start fresh ...

-  remember that most e-mail applications can import and export to other
applications - so if you cannot find a way to have Apple mail work for you
like this ... Then most likely either Eudora or entourage would be able to
import Apple mail somehow ...

-  one last method that might be possible - is to export all your e-mail's
through Apple scripting into a database such as FileMaker... But I still
prefer keeping them in their original my application -  why bother with any
other method -  the reason use an e-mail program is because you like that
program ... Correct? Why settle for less?

--
Thanks - RevDave
CoolCat at hostalive.com
[db-lists]