[X4U] Remote controls

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Aug 11 13:11:43 PDT 2005

Any recommendations for a remote control for a Mac? I'm looking at
something like the Griffin AirClick or Keyspan Express Remote, but
I'm having a tough time figuring out what would work best. I want it
to control Quicktime Player, DVD Player, iTunes and VLC.

The Keyspan Express looks like it would be the best, but it sounds
like its a bit finicky about needing the remote pointed directly at
the receiver. The AirClick doesn't sound like it has that problem
(uses RF instead of IR) but it seems a bit sparse on the buttons and
I'm not sure how well it really works with different apps. Are either
of them programmable so I could assign functions to them for
different apps?

Any Bluetooth remotes? I may be adding in a wireless mouse, so I may
be adding Bluetooth into the mix anyway.

Any help appreciated.

-Mike