[X4U] Re: Quick DSL primer please?

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Sun Aug 14 12:36:58 PDT 2005

On Aug 14, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Crandon David wrote:
> I have two friends with iMacs that will be upgrading from dialup
> connections to DSL ethernet. Both will be using SBC.
>
> I assume there is not software that needs to be installed at all.
> Is this correct?

I did not have to install any here on my Powerbook with Tiger.  Just
put the PPOE information into Network settings in System Preferences.

> One of them mentioned he was offered two different types of modems.
> A bigger one and a smaller one, with the smaller one costing more.
> He went with the smaller one....anyone know the difference?

One was smaller and cost more ;-)

Without model numbers, it's hard to say.  Hopefully there was some
good reason for it to cost more even beyond size.

I highly recommend a hardware router/firewall if there is not one
already built into the modem.

TjL