[X4U] massive iTunes corruption

Gerald Buc jerbuc at mac.com
Tue Aug 16 08:50:49 PDT 2005

On Aug 15, 2005, at 10:32 PM, Linda wrote:

> On 8/15/05 5:58 PM, joshua hough wrote:
>
>> HD failure?  This wouldn't be discovered in some way by TechTool Pro
>> or
>> DiskWarrior?  Both have been run repeatedly with no ill signs.  Also,
>> the
>> changed modification dates would point to some program directly
>> mangling the
>> files, not drive decay.  Right?
>
> Not necessarily. Can you check to see if anything else matches the
> modification time/date? Any logs written at that time? Finder quit
> crash
> log? Any backup or archiving scripts? Anything else that shares the
> mod date
> that might also be corrupted?

Shortly after I installed Tiger on my iBook and launched Disk Utility
for the first time, it showed in red "impending hard drive failure" in
the "S.M.A.R.T Status".
I contacted Apple and with no further diagnostics he said he would send
a box out for repair under my extended warranty. The drive was working
normally and I had no other indication of failure including DW repair
and Disk Utility under Panther (which does not have the S.M.A.R.T
capability)
Jerry